Aera invests in potentially revolutionary technologies to reverse climate change. The partnership with Fidante will make its offerings more accessible to European institutional investors
Aera VC, a venture capital firm focusing on climate change investments, has formed an alliance with global investment manager Fidante Partners to make its offerings more accessible to European institutional investors.
Through the tie up, Singapore-domiciled Aera will gain exposure to Fidante’s European investor base. Aera mainly seeks out investment in potentially revolutionary technologies to reverse climate change. Its portfolio companies have raised more than $1.4bn since the vehicle was founded in 2017 by New Zealanders Derek Handley and Nick Winstone.
“Every industry needs to be reimagined, from finance, food and fashion, through to chemicals, cement and construction. We are backing the very best founders who are committed to making this happen and through our partnership with Fidante, we are excited to continue to source and fund innovative companies around the world,” Winstone said.
Fidante which is owned by Australian-listed Challenger Limited, says Aera will benefit from its specialist distribution expertise. Fidante operates through partnerships with specialist investment firms in equities, fixed income, and alternative assets. It has around $50bn of assets under management globally.
Aera has invested in 23 companies globally, more than 40% of which have female co-founders. Some 80% of Aera’s portfolio is invested in climate technology covering industry decarbonisation, alternative proteins and agri-systems. The other 20% is focused on other technology with climate benefits and technology with benefits to humans in areas such as healthcare and space technology. Final close for the company’s $75m Climate and Frontier Fund, a seed stage fund, is expected in the second quarter 2023.
Aera’s says its most significant investments to date include those in Solugen, which creates chemicals using enzymes rather than burning fossil fuels, and Twelve, which has developed carbon transformation technology that helps convert captured carbon dioxide into new products that would otherwise be derived from fossil fuels. Other investments include a Singaporean company, Shiok Meats, that produces meats and seafood from cells rather than animals, Canadian firm CarbiCrete, which produces cement-free concrete, and French bank Green Got, which puts savers’ money into sustainable investments.
“Aera VC offers an appealing investment prospect for investors looking to accelerate the world to a more sustainable future,” Adam Brown, general manager and head of distribution at Fidante Partners in London, said. “We are excited by the opportunity to partner with Aera VC, bringing their high-quality team, expertise, and compelling investment thesis to the attention of the European investment community.”